Monday, March 29, 2010

Thoughts about my Grandmother

I was thinking about my grandmother today. I had to hem my youngest son's band pants without cutting them off. It now has an 8 1/2 hem. As I was sewing these pants up, I remembered my mom and my grandmother working with me to make hems and to make creations on the sewing machine. Needless to say, I never made it to far. I can do the basic stuff and could probably even make some piece of clothing. Whether it would be wearable or not is a whole other thing.
So why did I think about my grandmother? She was what I thought of as the example of what I call the "perfect housewife" for her time. She made everything from scratch, she had a house cleaning schedule every day. She followed the same routine daily. She was up early to make a home cooked breakfast for everyone. This was followed by doing the dishes, sweeping and mopping the kitchen. Then the beds were made and furniture dusted. The bathrooms came next. She literally would get on her knees and scrub the floors, tub, toilet, and sink. (That is until she couldn't physically do it. At that point, she resorted to using a mop). Lunch would be made and it was always a hot meal. No sandwiches or processed foods there. Again dishes were done and the floor swept and mopped. She then would stop and watch her favorite show, "As the World Turns". She didn't just sit and watch it though. She was always mending something, crocheting, or working on some project. A true multi tasker. In the afternoon, she would work with my aunt on the piano. If I happen to be there, she would set my aunt to work on a writing project that tied into the Sunday School lesson that they would study together and then it was time for my piano lesson. She taught me the basics. This would be followed by reading together or learning to sew. Then it was off to make supper. Again, nothing processed there. The dishes done, floor swept and mopped. Then back to the couch for a couple of shows on television and more mending, sewing, or crocheting. A quick bath and then bedtime. I don't know that I ever heard her complain about all this work. She just did it and always made it seem effortless. She did ask that my granddaddy do the grocery shopping. Saturdays we would always dress up to leave the house and we would go to downtown Corpus Christi to the department store so that she could get her hair done. I would hang out on the mezzanine with my granddaddy. Sundays were her time. She played the organ for the church. She would always be prepared for any song. Then home to cook a full meal.
Why did I just give a run down of what she did daily? Because I realized tonight that if she could do all that and never complain then what business do I have to complain about what all I have to do? She was educated (had her degree in Spanish/Teaching) and actually taught a while. Meanwhile, keeping house. No complaints. I need to take lessons from her. No complaints.

No comments:

Post a Comment