Saturday, September 26, 2009

My Special Time

Jeff has the lovely pleasure of working every other Saturday. In case you didn't catch that, it was sarcasm. Anyway, since he started having to work this schedule, I have started my own ritual. I get up between 8:00am and 9:00am and go to IHOP. I go alone. I take a book and I go. I always order the same thing because it is really all I like there. Mainly I go for the pancakes but they make a mean omelet as well. I confess that I have been doing this for about 4 months now. My kids sleep in and generally, I am back home before they wake up unless I have errands to run.
It is like a little holiday for me. It allows me to treat myself to a little something special. I have been trying hard not to buy clothes, shoes, or stuff for the house because of the budget. But every other week I spend my $10 for this vice.
Even with all the people talking around me, the clanking of dishes, silverware, etc. I find that this is a great place to lose myself in a book. Mind you, I never take a book that requires deep thought. It is usually something easy to read, something I have read before, or my latest obsession--Newbury Award books. (I am working on reading all the Newbury Award winner books this school year). I spend a leisurely hour or so, eating my breakfast, reading, and relaxing. It is so nice.
Today, I was seated in the middle of the room at a table. I was obviously alone and that was made even more evident when they came took all the other chairs from my table. There were several older couples there and a lot of college kid couples as well. One couple looked over at me and mentioned how sad it was that I was alone. I smiled at them and went on with my reading. You see, several years ago I would not have done this. I was mortified to even think about going to a sit down place where people would stare at me because I was alone. I would drive through places instead. Then one day I decided that I really wanted to eat at a place I loved and the heck with what people thought. I happen to have a book with me at that time and so I ventured in and once I had ordered I pulled out my book. I discovered that I had been foolish in my thinking. What did it matter if other people had a problem with me eating alone? I found that day that I liked it because I could take a few minutes and do something I loved. Read. I was and do complain that I never have time to just sit down and read and here it was. The perfect solution.
Now, I look forward to that time. A perfect little holiday, getaway, vacation. Time to just, as we say at school, Drop Everything And Read (DEAR) time. The only thing I ask is that you don't let Jeff and the boys know. They think I am home in bed during this time. Shhhhh!! :)

2 comments: