Thursday, August 13, 2009

Faith of a Mustard Seed

The Bible talks about having faith the size of a mustard seed. If you have never seen a mustard seed then I suggest you look at them in the spice aisle the next time you are in a grocery store. They are tiny. Very tiny. I know that I look at it and think, "I certainly have more faith that the size of a mustard seed." But you know what? I really don't think I do.
If I did then I wouldn't stress over setbacks in the budget. We are trying to work our budget plan like the one that Dave Ramsey suggests. He says that there is a "nerd" and a "free spirit" in most all marriages. I will give you two guesses as to which one I am. The "Nerd" is by the books, strict about the budget, watches every penny, etc. The "Free Spirit" spends without really thinking about the budget ("I have to have money in the bank, I still have checks."), probably couldn't tell you where or what they spent money on, etc. I am better than I used to be but I still have my moments. Right now, is one of those times when there are setbacks and yet, well.......
If my faith were really anywhere remotely the size of a mustard seed, I wouldn't stress over little things, I would instead go straight to prayer. Knowing that God is in control, not me (if you know me you have just fallen on the floor in laughter. If you don't know me then let me just say that the words "control freak" are attached to my name frequently.) should be enough for me to automatically lift it in prayer and leave it there. But no....my faith is so tiny that when I lift matters up in prayer, I don't leave them there. I lift them up, take them down, try to fix it, mess it totally up, lift up, take it down, and so on. If I could learn to leave it alone and have faith that God is going to take control and do what He wants with it and not mess with it any more then I think my faith my get a little closer to the mustard seed stage.
I read in the Bible that God says mountains can be moved with the faith of a mustard seed. I want to have mustard seed faith. I desire to have mustard seed faith. I long to have mustard seed faith. Faith of a mustard seed......

No comments:

Post a Comment