Friday, August 7, 2009

Where did the time go?

Thursday night was a momentous night in our family. My oldest niece got married to a guy that I truly believe is the right guy for her. I really didn't get to spend a lot of time with him but what time I did spend, I knew that he was the one that God had chosen just for her. She was definitely not the little girl I have always known but a beautiful young woman. Where did the time go?
I noticed that her sister was no longer a little girl either. I spent the day with her just shopping and eating out like we girls tend to do when we get together. I loved every minute of it. I stepped back and watched her move gracefully around the stores browsing around. People noticed her as well. Several times they would look at her and smile. We went to the GAP store and she tried on an outfit that she had picked out. The clerk took one look at her and said, "She is so a GAP girl!" She was adorable and could have easily stepped right out of a magazine the way she looked. It hit me that this was no longer a little girl but a young lady. Where did the time go?
After these events, I looked at my own kids. Three boys. In my oldest, I saw a young man, still a little awkward about this growing up thing but now showing signs of the man that I believe God is having him become. In my oldest, I see my husband totally and completely but that is a whole nother story. HAHAHA!!!!! In this child, I see some of a little boy in a young man's body. I also see the sense of humor developing more and more. His musical talent is becoming more prevalent. But most of all, he is listening more and more to what God lays on his heart. In my youngest, I see him changing daily. He is at that stage where there are so many changes going on in him, with him, and around him. He is at that time in his life where he doesn't understand all that is happening and it frustrates him to no end. I also see the work that God is doing in his life. Where did the time go?
Most of all what I see are three young men in my home. No more little boys. I miss the rocking chair, the snuggling on the couch, the bedtime stories, the many Lego's, the Hot Wheels, and the thousands of other pieces I managed to find with my bare feet. My babies are no longer babies. My apron strings are getting loosened each day because that is what happens as they grow up. I want them tighter but somehow they loosen up just a bit. Where did the time go?
I have not had the pleasure of one of my boys getting married yet. I can only imagine the feelings that I will have. I will cry not because my babies are leaving me but because they are no longer my babies. I have been and will continue to pray for each of my sons and the women that God has chosen for them. They will be a blessing and a wonderful addition to our family.
Where did all the time go?

1 comment:

  1. Sweet thoughts. Just yesterday your three little boys were the age mine are now. time flies.

    ReplyDelete