Saturday, August 15, 2009

Fine Arts In Public School Discrimnation

Let me start by saying that I have all guys in my house so I like most sports. I am not anti-sports by any means. That being said...
At my children's school if you play sports then your uniform and all the accessories, extra t-shirts, socks, shoes, etc are part of the deal. This goes for football, basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, power lifting, etc. Not so if you are in band.
If you are in band then you are required every year to pay anywhere from $50-$150 per person for uniforms, music, shoes, equipment rentals, mallets (in our case), holders for the music on the field, t-shirts, and misc. fees. I happen to have 2 children in band so my cost is double. I also happen to know that there will be children dropping from band because they can't afford the fees no matter what. It basically comes down to living or band for some of these kids and living tends to win every time. Now as a parent I am very frustrated about this. I personally don't have $100-$300 to just drop right now on this stuff. Not only that, they don't even get to keep what we pay for. On top of that we have to do this every single year.
Do people in athletics have to deal with this? No! Will they ever have to deal with this? No! I have been told that athletics is not the driving force in school but when you look at what they have to pay for and what other activities have to pay for well it sure looks like athletics is the driving force here.
I feel sorry for the kids who have the love and desire in their hearts to play in band or other activities only to have to give them up because of the expenses attached to them. Why can't the school pick up these expenses? They certainly have no problem picking up the athletic expenses. Why should other programs have to be placed on the back burner? More scholarships are given for music, art, etc. than for athletics. Yet, we literally have to pay for kids to develop their talents.
There are people out there that are going to disagree with me on so many levels and they are certainly entitled to their opinion just as I am to mine. My point is this, what is so dad-blasted special about athletics for it to be more important that other activities.
I will now be going to the band director and explaining that I do not have the money at this time for all the expenses and try to get him to allow us to pay it out. How sad that we are having to have payment plans for public high school activities that are non-athletic. I am not alone in this and I know that but I think it's time that someone stood up and said something.

2 comments:

  1. The last budget cuts in CA actually caused our district to cut athletics. I've heard that parents will now have to pay $300-400 for their child to play sports this year! That's for each child to play one sport. I was talking with one mom whose 2 kids where each playing several sports! They're going to make them cut back to one sport each but they'll still be paying close to $800! Ouch! I haven't heard if they're going to have any kind of payment plans but I know that's going to keep a lot of kids out of sports, too. They'll probably be roaming the streets getting into trouble, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think CA just doesn't have any money for school, and TX just really likes sports... we have to pay extra for art and science classes for labs and supplies...

    ReplyDelete