Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I want to be good enough

I am starting this particular blog with a disclaimer. I post my thoughts, feelings, dreams, and ideas here. This is my forum in which I can talk openly and freely. I know that sometimes I am a little depressing or weird in what I say but this is why I have a blog. I try to be positive so that no one is offended. So that being said....
An old friend of mine posted pictures of some people that I had grown up with in Portland. I was glad to see many of them to see how they have changed, their families, etc. I have never felt that I was good enough to hang with the people that I grew up with. Maybe that is part of the reason why I skipped my Junior year so that I could get out of there. I have told people before that I hated high school and really that part is so true but there are sides to everything. Another side is that I was never good enough at anything I did. There are a lot of times now when I feel that this is still true.
For example, I took piano for 9 years with the dream to win in competition someday but it was drilled into me that I was never going to be in that class of playing so I gave it up. I love playing the piano. I love the stories and pictures that are painted in my head when I play. I don't play now because the piano is our living room and no one wants to hear 2-3 hours of practicing over and over until it is perfect.
I guess I overcompensate by being obsessively organized at work, constantly taking on tasks that I really don't want to but in an effort to try to be good enough I do it. I am trailing off for a minute--The last couple of years I have driven myself stupid in an effort to make Teacher of the Year. I keep thinking that if I could achieve this honor then people would think that I really could teach and that I was good enough to be a teacher. (For those who don't know, I did not plan on becoming a teacher in life but a Juvenile Probation officer was my goal) Anyway, I have learned that unless I am retiring or every one's best friend and not making anyone mad throughout the year then I might have a shot at it. It really doesn't matter how well you do your job because in the end, it is all about the popularity. Ughhh! High school all over again. I have grown through this experience though and now I am okay with not having that award. I know that the real recognition is from how the kids do and if the parents are pleased with how their kids do. That is more of a confirmation that anything.
I probably will never get to travel to the foreign places I dream of constantly, I am never going to win the Van Cliburn Award for Piano even secretly that is the one thing I want to do more than anything in life, I will probably never be Teacher of the Year because in my position I make people mad, have them do gobs of paperwork, and I defend the kids I represent until I win, and I will never look glamorous like most of the people I look too in that respect.
I recently told one of my very dear sweet friends, "I yam what I yam. Take me or leave me, your choice."

2 comments:

  1. You should play your piano whether they want to listen or not. They have headphones, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Real Peace comes only when we accept who GOD made us. We should not compare ourselves to anyone. That is not easy. I know how you feel for I have also had to deal with not measuring up. We love YOU! momma

    ReplyDelete