Sunday, July 5, 2009

Entertaining Thoughts

When Jeff and I started building our house there was one thing that we both said that it had to have. A place for us to entertain family and friends and for our kids to have youth group and friends over. So we did just that.
I may stress up until the exact moment the guests come, but I do enjoy being a hostess at get togethers. I try to mix and mingle but at the same time I want my guests to worry for nothing. I keep the tea and lemonade filled, check the ice and make sure we have some and that there is plenty to eat at all time.
This past weekend we had 52 people for lunch and somewhere around 65 people for fireworks. Needless to say it was crowded, loud, and wild at times but it was great to watch everyone visiting with each other and to see friends and family relax. I think they relaxed. Anyway.... I love watching the kids renew friendships, play baseball, run, yell, and just be kids. It is the one day that we banned electronics from our kids because we had guests but I saw them laugh and enjoy visiting with others. My husband was busy talking with others and visiting and that made me glad because he doesn't talk a lot. He seemed to really have fun.
We may not have the money to travel like I want to or to go on exotic vacations, but I think we have something better. We have family and friends who feel comfortable enough to come here and relax and visit. We are blessed with family and friends who don't care whether we have done everything that the "Smiths/Jones" have done. I love looking at photos of people's trips and all and my husband continuously hears me say I want to travel but I would give up a trip to have my family and friends gathered around me.
I hope that everyone who came this weekend enjoyed themselves as much as I did.

2 comments: