Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Girlie Issue Follow Up

Okay, I have some girlie-ness in me. It has been pointed out by several people that there are aspects of my life that are truly girlie-ish. Like the fact that I like to bake and that I cook quite a bit. I call it survival when it comes to cooking. With three teenage boys and all their friends, that is what it seems like. The baking though is my stress relief.
Take today for instance, I know that I have truckloads of people coming to my house on Saturday. I know that most of the time, everyone will be in and out. I still want my house to look nice and neat. If I could I would deep clean every nook and cranny but unfortunately I don't have that kind of time thanks to teaching summer school up until yesterday. The boys have "helped" but I will be revisiting several areas they "cleaned". What does that have to do with baking? Well, I have had the urge for three days now to make bread from scratch, bake a pound cake, bake a chocolate pound cake, and make chicken enchilada soup from scratch. I have resisted these urges because I know that they are crowding in because of all I have to get done. They are my procrastination encouragers. Every time I have something terribly important or stressful to do, the urge to bake crashes in. I have to admit that 90% of the time, I gladly give in and then regret sets in because now I have a mess to clean up on top of everything else. If you have never seen me in the kitchen then you have no idea what kind of mess I can make. Come to think of it, that's why I end up having clothes that are ruined with stains and such.
I guess I am girlie in the fact that I do like to shop. Although if you have ever shopped with me, it is a little bizarre. I tend to find something, talk myself into buying it, carry it around the store for a while, then put it back. That is shopping. Now there are the few occasions when I actually do buy something that I have talked myself into but usually I have seen it several times or know that it is exactly what I am looking for.
So you see, I guess I am more girlie than I thought. I secretly wish that I could be the Doris Day, Audrey Hepburn, or Grace Kelly type but I am more of a Laura Ingalls Wilder (Little House on the Prairie) or an Olivia Walton (The Waltons) type girl.
I am okay with the fact that I bake and that I have a little girlie touch here and there. I really and truly don't think that the world is ready to handle it if I was much more girlier than that.

4 comments:

  1. There was never a truer statement than this: 'find something, talk myself into buying it, carry it around the store for a while, then put it back.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. But you have some really cute, girly flip flops...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha ha... I was thinking about your flip flops as I was reading this. And all those matching watch/bracelets you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, at least if you carry something around for a while, it is yours for that time! Also, I love to take you with me when we do shopping for Angel Tree kids: we carry a shirt or jeans around until you find a better deal!!!

    ReplyDelete