Saturday, May 1, 2010

Our Night Out to Alligator Cafe

Jeff heard about this interesting place on KNON radio station. (He also has the same pictures but his take on the dinner tonight.) So, it was time for a road trip to downtown Dallas. When we pulled in, we both commented that it resembled a fast food restaurant. Looks can be so deceiving as we soon learned. On the walls all over the inside are awards from everywhere for the cuisine from this place. The staff at this place was friendly. They acted like they were happy and enjoying their jobs there. They were willing to tell me (Mrs. Nosy) what other patrons were having when I asked what dishes were going past our table. Everything looked amazing and I intend to make it my mission to try everything on their menu. I don't think they know how to make bad food. They could compete with a 5 star restaurant any day of the week. The picture of the gumbo below was part of Jeff's dinner. It was chicken and andouille sausage gumbo. It was so good. This is the one thing that Jeff finished off completely.


This is Jeff's po'boy. It is fried Cajun chicken. I didn't taste any of this but he said it was delicious. He ended up taking half of it home. The part I think that was interesting was the fact that the mayonnaise was even homemade. It was amazing to look at.


This was my dinner. I had the craw fish enchiladas with dirty rice and beans. I was torn between this and the Cajun fettuccine. When I asked the girl taking our order which she preferred, she straight up said that they were equally good. It just depended on if you wanted a lot of cheese or not. I felt like cheese. This was so good. I savored each bite and still took half of it home. The enchiladas had Cajun sauce, crawfish, roasted veggies, corn tortilla and cheese. It was wonderful!!!




While we were eating our main course, the head chef and owner of the Cafe brought us each a "sample" of his sweet potato pecan pie with caramelized whiskey sauce. I love sweet potato pie and I always loved my grandmother's pecan pie so I was excited about this. I was not disappointed. It was absolutely amazing!! The chef came back by later to see if we needed anything and how we liked everything. He told us that every night when he gets home, he makes all the pies and the process takes 5 hours!! He then said what is worse is he is diabetic so he doesn't get to indulge in the desserts. The man makes a mean pie
The picture above was the bread pudding I ordered. I had seen it on the menu and I love a good bread pudding. This is what they brought me. It is actually bread pudding on top of flan and soaked in the whiskey sauce. It was warm when they brought it to me. I put on facebook that it was better than sex or at least almost better. I actually cried because it was absolutely amazing in flavor and taste. I wanted desperately to finish this but I was so full by this point that I ended up taking most of it home. It is better than cheesecake or chocolate. Trust me.
This was Jeff's banana pudding. The whipped cream was homemade and it was some of the best banana pudding ever!!! We said that Great would have loved this. I did notice that it had a hint of alcohol flavor but then again, it could have been the whiskey sauce from the pie and bread pudding talking. Jeff let me have a taste but then he pulled it to him and that was that.







1 comment: