Wednesday, December 23, 2009

My Appreciation for What I Have

I went out to the store today. Yuck!!! It was crowded and people were everywhere. One advantage was that I got to see people and how they treat each other. Mainly, how spouses treated each other. I took a step back and realized one thing.
I am an extremely lucky woman. I know that I whine and complain because I can't travel or spend money like I want to, when I want to but you know what? So what. No one else would ever have put up with me for this long unless they really and truly loved me. Jeff Pipes is the only man I know that can do that. He may roll his eyes from time to time, sarcastically answer me, remind me of the one I don't want to be in an not so subtle way, but he really and truly loves me.
He has had to put up with a heck of a lot from my stupidity over the last 20+ years. He continues to remain faithful and strong even through it all. He comforts me, sympathizes with me, keeps me in line financially (thank you Jesus for that!), and supports me even if it isn't the most solid decision. He listens to me when he is totally exhausted and he allows me to get my 20,000 words a day out that I have this need to get out all at once when he gets home (patience of Job, I'm telling you).
During our Experiencing God class, we had to come up with similarities and differences with our spouses. The differences was easy. Mainly, because we are almost opposites in a lot of things. The similarities were harder. During class discussion, even our preacher's wife admitted that it had been a hard assignment. She put into words what we had all thought and that is we as spouses have grown into similarities together. Meaning that the longer we are married the more we tend to have in common just being around each other. (Side note--I challenge you to make a list of similarities and differences between you and your spouse. Not as easy as it sounds.)
I love my husband more than almost anything and as I stepped back this week I realized that I hadn't really shown him that. I have allowed my "feelings" to get into the way of what I have. I have all I need right here. If it is the only "resolution" I make this year, it will be that I focus more on him than on me. He deserves it.
Before anyone says that I am trying to get on his good side, think again. I just realized that I am a lucky, lucky woman and I am appreciative of what I have. So there :P!

2 comments: