Friday, June 11, 2010

Our Doctors

I really like my family doctor and the physician's assistant that works with him. These two men are the medical team we have been going to since my oldest was born. I love them both because they care about their patients. They don't waltz in, go over a couple of symptoms, and whiz you out the door. They talk to you. They inquire about the family and in our case, the extended family. They make you laugh even when you feel your worst.
The PA has always been referred to by our family as Dr. Tom. He is a hoot! Dr. Green is very old school and I like that. He doesn't just whip out a prescription pad and give you the latest drug. He will tell you like it is and then use tried and true methods that usually work better than the new fangled stuff.
Anyway, I had to go see the doctor today and I got to see Dr. Tom. I don't go to the doctor very often so it has to be something of importance to warrant my going. I have in infection on my thumbs and nothing I have tried has fixed it. Therefore a doctor visit. Dr. Tom told me that I am always presenting him with something new so he looks forward to my visits. Today was no exception. The first surprise for him was my blood pressure. I normally run 130/70 on a good day but today I ran 118/68. Dr. Tom asked if I had been breathing when they took the blood pressure. He said he has patients that dream of those numbers and one of them is my husband. We moved on to my thumbs. He was amazed at what he saw. He said he had never seen anything like that ever. He, of course, referred me to the dermatologist but I also had strict instructions to call him with the findings of the dermatologist. He said that this really had him stumped. It is not viral nor is it fungal. It was unique and different. He said once again I had not failed to amaze him. I told him that I saved the best for him.
We then discussed family and work and his family and such. I left the office feeling like I had visited with an old friend. What could have been unpleasant, cold and callused was actually nice.
Incidentally, when all three of the boys had their tonsils out on the same day at Cook's Children's Hospital, Dr. Tom's wife was one of the nurses in the recovery room. When she found out who we were, she told us that Dr. Tom talked about us frequently. Again, it was like having family there.
I hope you find a doctor's office like ours. It is well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment