Saturday, June 5, 2010

The reason I teach

I will admit it. I cried many tears yesterday. More this year than probably any other time as a teacher. It is silly really. My kids that I have worked with received their awards yesterday. Normally, the 6th graders would move on to the Secondary School and so I wouldn't see them much anymore. Next year though, we will house the Junior High (Middle school grades) so I will see them everyday still. The kids that were 5th graders this year will be 6th graders next year and being that I am suppose to teach Math, I will have them in class.
Yet, as each of my "babies" walked across the stage and stopped by to hug me, I cried. I love my kids and I love working with each and every one of them. Actually, these are the kids that I taught in 1st grade. So, I guess that may be why they mean so much to me. They all have such a special place in my heart. They will always have that place in my heart. As an educator, you are told that there will be that one kid that will work their way into your heart and will stay there forever. Well, in this case there are about 30-40 kids who have done that with me this year. What can I say. I have a big heart with lots of space.
I look forward to watching all these kids grow and move on in life. This is the real reason I teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment