Sunday, March 7, 2010

Extreme Lynne Makeover

I was recently told that I was being too vague with my blog posts. That person reminded me that my statement about my blog was my deepest thoughts without worrying about what others think. Well, here goes.
In this world, I used to think that that my husband and I had really secure jobs. He works for the Post Office and I teach. We have learned that that kind of thinking is flawed. No job is really secure. There are ups and downs and then you throw in the economy and in my husband's case, online everything. So... I got to doing some serious thinking and I realized that I have had trouble with looking professional. Most of the time, I go for comfort and that tends to translate into what I wear to work. Now, teachers spend time on their knees, in the floor, up and down, and every which way. But. That does not mean that I can't at least look like the adult in the room. Lately, I have been making note of what everyone is wearing. Not just at work but out and about, at the stores, church, etc. I decided it was time to take the bull by the horns.
Our music minister's wife and their 3 daughters have this wonderful sense of style. They are all sizes and shapes but no matter what they are wearing it looks good. So I approached them with the proposition of making me look professional. Translated--take me shopping.
It became an event! These 4 ladies and the baby girl (who is 1) took me shopping on Saturday in a way I have never been shopping. They loaded me down with things they thought I would look great in, took me to the dressing room, and told me to start trying things on. So, in all my glory, I tried on clothes (which I have always hated doing. That would account for why I buy clothes 2-3 sizes too big). 4 hours later, 4 stores later, and less than $300, I had a wardrobe complete with shoes and a new purse. These women explained to me about how to work the clothes and what things I might want to add to the collection.
I came home and tried on some of the things for my husband. I think he zoned out. He did comment on one shirt that he liked. So on Sunday morning, I went into the closet and selected an outfit from the new stuff. These ladies had told me repeatedly, if you like how you look and you feel good in what you are wearing then you will carry yourself better and it will make you feel better as a person. They were right. I felt cute, professional, adult, and after my husband paid me a compliment, sexy. I realized I had crossed a bridge that I could no longer go back over. Now I had a standard and I have to maintain that standard. Does that mean I will shop every time I go out? No. Although there are a couple of items I would like to have in the wardrobe. I can make do with what I have. I just need to make sure that I think about what I am wearing instead of just grabbing something frumpy because it is comfortable. These same ladies gave my husband the direction to get rid of all my clothes that were miles too big and the clothes that didn't meet the criteria for the wardrobe.
Now, I am ready to face what comes my way. I am a professional. Sometimes. During the week. Let's just say I am working on it. :D

1 comment:

  1. Now clean out and donate things you don't wear so it is easier to put together outfits. Good for you. The new blog layout it cute.

    ReplyDelete