Friday, April 16, 2010

Corpus Christi Day 2

Most of today was spent at the conference. I have to admit that it is more enjoyable that I thought it would be. We had several good speakers and another delicious lunch. I saw a dual language school in action today and was so impressed with the classrooms and the interactions between the students and the teachers. It makes me want to go back into the classroom and be like these teachers. It was inspiring. I then attended a session in the afternoon that was actually one of my lower choices. It turned out to be the best choice. The speaker there gave book title after book title of books to read to the class, use, etc. She also had some fantastic ideas for teaching in the classroom and keeping kids from getting bored with the same old stuff. She was an outside the box thinker. I love that!
After I finished with my sessions, I came back to the hotel and shared all I had learned with my hubby. He patiently listened (I had texted him earlier and warned him that this would be the case) while I told him everything all at once. I then changed clothes and we headed out.
Our first stop was a small but nice wildlife preserve park in the city. It had a boardwalk trail out to the bay to see birds and such. Then we followed the trail and made the loop. It was a 3/4 mile hike. After sitting in classes and in a car for several days, my legs complained about the walking.
We stopped after that on the sea wall and walked down it a bit, stopping to take pictures here and there. We turned around and went back to the car after spotting the homeless people getting a little agitated that we were so close to them and their "spot" for the night.
From there, we went to our destination for the night, Whataburger Field. We were so excited to be going to the baseball game. We got our tickets, found our seats, strolled for a bit, then bought ourselves a Whataburger and drink. We made our way back to our seats and settled in for all of about 5 minutes. The rain started falling and our burgers were getting soggy. We made our way back up to the covered area and sat up against the wall. The rain came down. We people watched and finished our meal. We laughed at the mascots and their antics then we walked around. We just knew that the rain would stop and they would play ball. An hour after the game was suppose to have started they cleared the field and started prepping for the game. We went down to our seats and settled in. They announced that the game would start 30 minutes later. That 30 minutes came and went. The coaches and umpires doodled around on the field and finally it was decided that there was too much standing water to play. So they announced that the game on Saturday would be a double header and our tickets would be good for both games. We probably won't get the same great seats but still. They did give us the fireworks show and it was a good one.
We left and came back to the hotel, took a shower, and relaxed. By that I mean, I got on facebook and blogged my day and pictures and my hubby rolled over and started snoring.
Another full but really great day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment