Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Road Home

Well, all good things must come to an end. Our time in Corpus did just that. We got up, had breakfast, packed up, and hit the road. We drove down Ocean Drive one more time before leaving town. As we always do, we left a completely different way than we came in. We came down the Interstate coming in and so today we went home through the little towns that I used to drive through when I would go back and forth to college.
I had intended to take a picture of each town as we went through it but I was too busy looking to see what had changed and what hadn't that I forgot. I did want to take a picture of the building that I was born in. At one time it was a hospital, a welfare office, a run down shell, and well, now I don't know if it is still there because they had built a loop around the town where it was.
A lot of the towns had not changed much at all. Some had changed a lot. One of the places I did have my hubby stop was the little church in Cestahowa. It was just a special place for me. There was no real reason behind it except that it just brought me a moment of peace when things were so upside down in my life at that time. Today, I felt that same peace even though things are fine in my life. Today was also the first time I had gotten to go into it. It was beautiful inside. I don't think my wildest dreams could have thought of what the inside looked like. It is a Catholic Church so you can imagine the adornments inside.
We drove on and met up with my parents for lunch in San Marcos. I told them about all the places we had been and looked at in Corpus. They listened (kind of like my hubby did the other day). We left there and went on up to Belton. There we met up with our oldest and our girlie girl. They both looked tired but seemed to be happy about how their weekend went. We bought them dinner and then went on our way. We finally made it home, 8 1/2 hours after we set out from Corpus. We did have to stop and pick up some minor groceries before getting home.
I think that our middle son missed us because he called us three times before we got home. Our youngest son went to bed when he got home from the weekend and as I am writing this now, he is still asleep. He must have missed his bed alot.
As much as I enjoyed our vacation away, it is good to be home, back with my kids, back in my comfort zone, back where everyone knows my name, and where I really and truly belong. Traveling is good but home is better. I hope you have enjoyed our trip with us as much as we have.

1 comment: