Monday, April 5, 2010

My Thoughts on the dreaded test

Tomorrow is the first of the TAKS test for our kids. I am nervous for them. I know they will do well but there is always the anxiety of the unknown. Will they have taken their medicine, had a good night's sleep, eaten dinner the night before as well as breakfast that morning? Will someone antagonize them before they get to school and rile their temper? Will they fight with their parents, siblings, best friends, or just anyone? Will they remember to use their strategies? Will they use the charts that are available for them? Will they remember how to use the charts? Will those that need to make their own charts? Will they remember their name????? All these factors can blow their test out of the water. I am praying for each and everyone of my babies I work with. (Yes, I call them my babies. I am with them a large part of the day so I feel I can). I am also praying for all the other kids. We will test for the next 2 days and for some there will be a 3rd day. This will exhaust us all.
I know that this test is important to show growth in the kids but I really wish the state would find another way to see if the kids have been learning. If they are truly trying to test the kids on knowledge then please let me help you design something that will do this. This test causes good teachers to second guess themselves, stress until they are physically ill, and gray hair. Not to mention the kids. They also stress until they cry, throw up, or second guess their abilities. Is this really the intent of the test?
I certainly hope not but until someone with more authority than me can come up with something valid and equitable, we will continue with this test. If you think about, once you read this then please pray for kids across the state over the next 2 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment