Friday, November 13, 2009

30 Days of Thanksgiving--Day 13


Today was not one of my better days. I ended up sitting in my office and having one of those cries that lasts more than thirty seconds. After I finished up crying, I pulled myself together and got back on track. One of my students came in not long after that and I explained to her what she needed and all of the sudden she got up and gave me a really big hug. Then she looked at me and said, "Mrs. Pipes, are you okay? If you want to talk to someone, I am here for you." I almost cried again. I told her I was just having a bad day and it would be okay.

What really put things into perspective was that this child has Cerebral Palsy. She has physical and mental struggles daily. I watch her and her twin sister, who also has CP, deal with their disabilities. They do so with a smile on their face everyday. They never seem to get down and they look upon each challenge without fear. There is no self pity and they don't make excuses for themselves. They are willing to do what everyone else does and they do so with gusto.

Today, I am thankful for these two young girls and the inspiration that they give me.

4 comments:

  1. That's pretty intense. Doesn't it make your heart just swell? Thank you so much for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you for those tears. I know how sometimes they just begin and continue flowing. Yes, those children are precious and given the fact that they carry with them each day so many struggles and still smile and offer love makes them blessings of magnitude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just check in on you and wondering how you are doing. Tears can be very cleansing for the soul...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your thoughts today have encouraged me to think of others and less of me! What a blessing for you and example to me-that our caring Lord,who sees all, sent that dear young lady to bring you comfort and encouragement at just the right time!
    May our Lord continue to bring you comfort today!
    Blessings from the cabin!
    Claudia O.

    ReplyDelete