Wednesday, November 18, 2009

30 Days of Thanksgiving--Day 18

I am thankful for holiday/birthday traditions. Until I married my husband, I can only remember two traditional things that my family did. Every year we would go to the Art Museum that had been transformed into a Christmas tree forest of sorts. Different schools, clubs, etc. would decorate Christmas trees and they would be put on display for everyone to walk through and look at. I loved doing that. The other thing was that on the day of A&M /UT game we would pack up and go to the ranch so the men could go hunting. My granddaddy had attended UT and his brother had attended A&M so they decided instead of watching or listening to the game they would just go hunting together. We would all go. Just for the record, I am not someone who enjoys hunting.
When I married my husband, I knew that his family was extremely close and did a lot of things together. One thing that has never changed is how Thanksgiving and Christmas are celebrated. At Thanksgiving, everyone gathers early in the day at the grandparents house. The women start making preparations on the meal while the men and the kids do whatever it is that they do. Once the chicken and dressing (there was no turkey in this family) was cooking then the women would sit and visit while they crocheted, played cards or dominoes, or such. Soon the table would be set (back then we all fit around it, now we have to have a card table for the kids) and the food put on the table. We would gather around the table once the food was ready. Grandpa/Dad would bless the food and the feast would begin. We would laugh, visit, and eat. The whole while taking our time, not rushing, no televisions on, no external devices interfering with this time. Once everyone was stuffed, the kids would clear the table and then the clean up would begin. Once finished, then naps and visiting took place. That night leftovers were pulled out and eaten. It is a great time.
The only difference in Thanksgiving and Christmas is that after the meal at Christmas, the family would gather in the living room. The youngest child or designated child would hand out gifts one at a time. Everyone watches in anticipation as the person unwraps the gift. This is an all day affair. Again with no television or external devices. Just family.
Birthdays are celebrated with the family gathering for a meal. Whoever has the birthday chooses the menu and after the meal is eaten then the birthday person reads each and every card aloud. Every gift is opened and celebrated with all.
You see I love all these traditions because it tends to bring us all together for a while. Now that we all live apart, these traditions are even more important. I am just thankful that we are able to still have them.

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite thanksgivings is the one we spent with you guys the 1st year you lived in your new house. Jeff still makes the best turkey in my book. That year was the best one ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have touched my heart - tears are rolling down! I love you and the way you can write what you feel. LOVE forever and always mom

    ReplyDelete